Over the years I have gathered photography tips from some pretty amazing photographers. Here’s a short list of my favorite top tips. Follow them, and your photography will immediately improve.
- A SENSE OF PLACE. What do you feel? Be mindful of the story you want to tell in 5-8 pictures. Help the viewer be with you. Slow down. Look around.Get in the moment. Let the photographs find you.
- CAPTURE YOUR RESPONSE TO THE PLACE.Photography is your gift back to the world. Let your photography be an expression of the moment you had in that place. Allow yourself to express your feelings and spirituality through photography.
- LIGHT. Move toward the light. If there’s no light, there’s no photo. Practice seeing light. Notice the quality of light. See how light changes. It’s all about the light. Light is what gets attention.
- ATTENTION. You have to have a focus point, a point of attention, a subject.
- GET CLOSE. Walk up to your subject. Get on eye level of your subject. Get closer.
- COMPOSE. Apply rule-of-thirds. Be responsible for what is in your picture. Eliminate the background distractions. Choose what is in the frame. Look at your edges. Be intentional.
- BE WILLING TO WALK AWAY.If you’re not getting the photo you want, don’t “take it.” Just because it’s there doesn’t mean it’s a photograph.
- EDIT. Only show others your best. Edit. Edit. EDIT. If you took 100, edit down to 10-12. Tell your story of you in your experience.
- EXPERIMENT. Take your camera off of manual. Try Aperture preferred to control for depth-of-field (the amount of in focus before and after the focus point).
- STORY. Keep your story in mind. Include close-ups, medium views, and wide views, plus people (close-ups, medium-views, wide views).
- DON’T TAKE A PICTURE OF NOTHING. Have a subject. Have a story you want to tell.
- DON’T TAKE A PICTURE WITHOUT LIGHT.Light brings attention to your subject. The sun will go in and out. Wait for it!
- DON’T JUST STAND THERE.Move in. Lay down. Look up.
- DON’T TAKE.“Taking” can be selfish and insensitive.
- DON’T BE BORING.Don’t post all your photos from a photo excursion on social media.
- DON’T HURT PEOPLE.Don’t show other people at their worst.